Yes, we have rules. But if you pay close attention and follow them, you’re guaranteed to have a LOT of fun, and you can win stuff!
Here they are, or you can download them here:
Event Objectives: To introduce young marine enthusiasts and the community to the craft of boat building and the excitement of recreational boating.
Crew Objectives: To design, build and race a sea-worthy vessel and paddles in two days using limited materials.
Event Beneﬁciaries: A portion of Plywood Regatta proceeds beneﬁt South Florida Marine Industry Education Programs and the Plywood Regatta Scholarship Fund
Young adult marine technical and college students interested in or pursuing careers in the marine industry.
High school students interested in the marine industry or participating in the Marine Magnet Program.
Middle school students participating in a marine magnet program or interested in the marine industry.
Fort Lauderdale Mariners Club Cup Overall Champion
The overall winning team of the ﬁnal inter-division race
For top three teams from each racing division
Most Spirited Team
For the team that works together well and shows the most Plywood Regatta enthusiasm
Best Decorated Boat
The one that looks the coolest
Most Innovative Design
Most creative design, whether or not it functions!
Future Yacht Broker Award
This is for the one that sinks. “Those who can’t build, sell!”
Courage & Perseverance
For the kids that put their whole heart into it but their boat won’t quite do the same …
Seafarer Marine Award (Best All Around)
This award goes to the best overall team. The winning team should demonstrate good teamwork, team spirit, a clean work site, have a pretty good boat design that is well decorated and actually works!
Propeller Design Champion (NEW!)
This new award goes to the team who creates the fastest propeller.
The following materials will be supplied:
- 3 sheets of 4’ x 8’ 1/4” Luan plywood
- 2 pieces of 2” x 2” x 8’ wood
- 4 pieces of 1” x 2” x 10’ wood
- 120 tie wraps
- 12 cartridges of 3M 5200- Fast Cure caulk
- 2 life jackets
- Interlux paints of various colors
Your team may supply & use the following:
- Protective eyewear (i.e. goggles or glasses) is MANDATORY during use of power tools
- 1 electric jigsaw
- 1 electric/ battery drill
- NO OTHER POWER TOOLS ALLOWED!
- 1 extension cord/ power strip
- Caulking guns (manual or electric)
- Saw horses
- Decals for decorative purposes
- Drill bits
- Jigsaw blades
- Miscellaneous hand tools
- Hand ﬁles
- Foam cushions to be used for knee protection during race
ONE team captain must be chosen (no mentors or volunteers, students only).
This team captain will be responsible for overall team behavior, as well as be the responsible party for thank you card submission and supply pickup. Please list this Team Captain on the registration form PRIOR to Saturday, April 1st.
NO ADDITIONAL POWER TOOLS ALLOWED! (see materials list)
Glasses/ safety goggles MUST be worn during use of power tools
Only the allowed and supplied materials can be used
Only 6-8 participants per team
Mentors can only be involved on a limited basis
No patterns, templates, or full size drawings may be used
No motors, sails, or surfboards
Decoration of boats must be complete on Saturday
All tie wraps must be completely covered by caulk or removed prior to racing
(NO EXPOSED SHARP EDGES!)
Series of Qualifying Heats & Final Races
Fastest boat per class moves on to the next heat
Only two people from the building team per boat per race PLUS one pusher
No misuse of paddles, including intimidation, hitting, or pushing off of other boats or people
Life jackets MUST be worn during the race
The judges’ decisions are ﬁnal
Judges have the authority to disqualify a team if they see necessary.
- Appropriate dress IS REQUIRED. Swimsuits may be worn UNDER your clothing, however, shirts and shorts MUST be worn over swimwear at all times on Saturday, and shorts must be worn over swimwear at all times on Sunday.
- Closed-toe shoes required.
- No cursing or foul language permitted.
- Paint is meant for the boats, NOT for your skin.
- No stereos or iPod speakers. You may bring personal stereos or MP3 players with headphones.
- NO alcoholic beverages allowed in the Plywood Regatta Boatyard or Race Area.
- Unsafe practices and unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated and are grounds for disqualification.
- Judges have the authority to disqualify a team at their discretion.
• DO NOT use the public restrooms. Port-A-Potties and a designated cleanup station will be available.
Please park ONLY in designated areas or face disqualiﬁcation.